I purchased this cute little side table at a yard sale last June! I started painting it white shortly after I bought it, but as is does, life got in the way of me finishing this. Until a couple weeks ago, when I came up with a plan. Now, as you may have experienced yourself, things don't always go according to the plan. I am great, I mean, super awesome fantastic at coming up with plans. Good plans too. I have an abundance of ideas spilling out of my brain at nearly all times. It's just... well.... I'm not always that great at execution. But hey, we learn from our failures, right?!?!
Anywho... this little side table is an example of a project going nothing like my plan and actually turning out even better. Sometimes going with the spur of the moment decisions works out better than any plan.
Here is the table before & during the sanding process. The feet and legs easily twisted off so I was able to sand it more easily. For sanding the legs I used a sanding sponge.
The plan was to paint it white and then do a woodgraining technique using a bright contrasting color, like maybe blue (shocker) or yellow. I purchased this Martha Stewart Decorative painting tool kit from Home Depot and I was looking forward to trying it out. I used the Martha Stewart multi-surface paints. I thought I would just flip the table over and practice a few times on the bottom and then be finished. Well..... things didn't quite go as planned.
The wood graining tehnique was totally messing up. After googling it I realized that I didn't have any glaze to mix with the paint to make it glide more easily. If you're interested in doing this technique check out this video. I was determined to finish the table using what I had on hand, so I tried a coulple of the other tools with the paint, but just wasn't feelling it. So I went to my stash of scrapbook papers. I just purchased some new stuff from Studio Calico and I really like the combination of those two papers together, the floral and the stripe. I had no plan this time, I just cut up some strips and started laying it out. The stripe seemed too bright, so I went back to the stack of paper and found another more subtle pattern to coordinate. I finished the top with 4 layers of mod podge. I wet sanded between the last two layers with a sanding sponge and finished it off by buffing with some super fine steel wool.
I absolutely love how it turned out. The top feels super smooth too. It's even better than I had planned. I love it when that happens!
Here is the cost breakdown:
- yard sale table: $5
- primer & white high gloss paint: on hand from other projects
- scrapbook paper by crate paper (story teller collection): on hand, probably under $1 for each sheet = $2
- TOTAL: $7