The theme for Saturday was ADVENTURE. A lot happened today and there were some times that I was not a very happy camper (pun intended). Last night I was chilling on the couch and reading some blogs and I came across the above quote. It is the perfect way to capture our saturday. Sometimes you just have to follow your man, even it it's up the side of a mountain. The full quote is:
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure." -Helen Keller
- 8-9am woke up, lounged in tent for a while, listened to the quiteness all around... SLOWLY crawled out of the tent to start the day
- made breakfast tacos to start the day - had some starbucks instant coffee (caramel & mocha)... not bad actually
- had a small fire and debated making s'mores for "dessert breakfast" since I didn't make any the night before. It was just TOOO hot to get near the fire friday night. The fire died out before I could get to the s'mores, but that was ok, because I was full from of the yummy tacos!
- plan for the day - check out other campsites nearby for future trips and decide to go for a hike. we made some lunched, packed up some water for the dogs.
- Grandview overlook was our primary destination, but we took a little "detour" down a pathway that lead to a dead end. The man decided we should trek upwards... surely that's were the views were. It was a truly stupid plan, but I followed.. I didn't want to wuss out and maybe, just maybe it would lead somewhere. Well it lead straight up, I'm talking a serious ridiculous INCLINE. There were no views and all we ended up filthy, I was cut up from thorns and the dogs were exhausted. In fact, Reese practically gave up and there were several times I thought I was gonna lose her as she slide down the side of the mountain. Actually there were a couple times when I thought I was going to be sliding down the mountain myself. We had to stop the accent and resort to going back. There may have been visions of tumbling to the bottom, crahing in to trees along the way, ending up at bottom with broken legs.
- after the hiking trip we were filthy and there were no showers at the campsite, but there was a river! We switched into our swimsuites and hit the river to clean up.
- we ate turkey & cheese sandwiches for lunch and being exhausted we decided to lounge in my 2person hammock (definitely a good investment). Unfortunately just as we were getting cozy and relaxed (I seriously could have fallen asleep) it started to rain. grrrrr
- jumped up, put the rainfly ont he tent, put things that weren't waterproof away, put the doggies in the car and decided it was time to drive to REAL hike to the view of Grandview overlook.
- drove through a sever thunderstorm cell - BRIGHT white lightening. drove out of storm and then back into it just as we got to overlook
- hung out in car, leaned seats back looking out of giant sunroof, being silly, taking photos, making music videos with songs from songify app. this is a seriously silly app... oh goodness I laughed till I had tears with the stuff we came up with.
- finally rain let up and we got the inside scoop from a very enthusiastic park ranger and headed out to see the views - GORGEOUS! walked through tunnel trail and then back into Beckly.
- more rain was forecasted so we hit up chick fil for dinner and bought tickets to Captain America 3D.
- back at the campsite we had no wood and everything was wet. into the tent, played scrabble slam and then crashed hard by 1030pm