When I blogged about finishing my niece & cousin's totes I wasn't really finished. With all the embroidery on the outside the inside did get a little messy looking. I confess, I am not the most skilled or neatest embroiderer! I had planned from the get-go to line the totes in a fun fabric for the girls. As you may have noticed in this post, I kinda have a lot of fabric. I knew I wanted to use something I had on hand, so I dug through the drawers (before it was so neatly folded and organized) and decided on a piece of oilcloth I had purchased at Hancock fabrics last fall. I had no idea what I was going to use if for when I bought it, I just was excited to see a fun geometric print in oilcloth, and bonus to me... it was on SALE.
I had to do some serious math and planning before attempting to cut and it turned out I had barely enough to line both bags and include a little interior pocket.
It turned out better than I thought (yeah for some good luck) and I think the girls are going to love them. They are quite roomy and I know will hold tons of whatever they decide to stash in them.
I used this nifty trick I found on Pinterest to help the oilcloth glide through the machine better. I didn't follow any specific instructions. I have made several lined bags before using patterns so I just kinda went from memory for these. Because the tote already had a finished top edge when I sewed them right sides together it created a lip of fabric that came over the top edge. I really like how it turned out, especially after a little topstitching. I have decided to hold on to them and give them as Christmas gifts this year. Note to self: start Christmas presents a year out to have them finished in time!