I made it through another Tuesday without clicking on the 'ol tele. I almost turned it on when I finally slowed down to eat some lunch, but I quickly caught myself and decided on a little silence instead.
I'm undecided on whether or not I am really accomplishing more without the television, but it feels nonetheless. Plus I think it is better to crank up some good music instead of having the tv on for background noise.
I remember when I was growing up I would spend a lot of time at my best friend, Emily's house and the TV time was limited. I think we were only allowed to watch an hour or something a day. We did a lot of dress up, and playing outside instead. I don't have a lot of memories watching a lot of television growing up. I remember a lot of imaginative play... dress up was a favorite, and all of us kids LOVED, I mean LOVED putting on shows. We would make up shows for all kinds of things. Sometimes we even incorporated commercials, all acted out with props, homemade costumes and sound tracks on our tape players. I remember also taking Emily's dad's tape deck and recording "interviews" with the people in the house... I used to have that tape, oh my it was hysterical listening to it after many years.
There was no imaginative play today.
- spent hours looking for hotels and making phone calls for a work trip
- caught up on some emails and blogs
- did laundry, and actually put it away!
- packed for trip
- played with Reese when the rain finally stopped
- picked out a super cool frame for one of my new prints
- I didn't forget to eat today like last Tuesday!
- caught up with Andrea a bit
- tried to help Kerry find some inexpensive table lamps
That's the gist of my day. Nothing too exciting, but NO tv watching :)
What kind of fun things did you do as a kid instead of watching TV? Was it just my family that loved putting on shows?