Schew... it has been a busy busy week, both with sewing and working. Last Friday was my first day back to work after getting home from the deployment. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 weeks of leave, but it went WAY too fast. I started the quilting marathon last Tuesday, then worked Friday-Friday! Last night though, I had the pressing need to make a pillow.
The inspiration for the pillow started back when I ordered the Epic Alphabet embroidery pattern from Sublime Stitching. Inspired by her "merci" project, I knew instantly that I wanted to stitch "sweet dreams" into a pillow. Another idea was "xoxo" and I still may whip that up someday. But for now... I was focused on sweet dreams. I thought it would make a perfect little pillow to spruce up a sweet little girl's bed.
Back in September on my NYC trip with Lisa, I picked up this fat quarter bundle of fabric from purlSOHO. At the time I didn't know what I would use it for, I just knew that it would be perfect for a girl. It was both fun and funky, without being overly juvenile and cutesy. The fabric is from the Wild Thyme collection by Carol Gavin.
I tried out several fabrics against the embroidery, but I loved how this one played off the thread colors in the lettering. Not only do I love the look, but I love the feel of the embroidery as well as the quilted top. I just had a funny thought about the feel of the pillow. Imagine falling asleep on it... what kind of funny lines would you have on your face then?!?! HA!
The quilting of the pillow top wasn't planned. Actually the only planned part of the pillow was the embroidery. I just came up with the rest on the fly. I knew I wanted it to be pieced fabric around the embroidered bit, but that was it. Once I had that finished I felt like it was missing something, so I added the small dot print around the edges. Even then the pillow looked a little unfinished. Since I had completed the quilt last week, I thought... why not try some quilting. I added a little fleece and quilted frames around the fabric and now I am super pleased with how it turned out.
I also used the small dot fabric on the back. With the fluffiness of the pillow, I wasn't sure how much of the dot fabric would peak out, but I thought it might be fun to have the contrasting print repeated on the back in the envelop closure.
Minus the embroidery, it was a quick, finish in one afternoon kind of project. I like those kinds of projects. I am so happy with how this turned out I think it might have to live on my bed for a while before it goes to it's new home.
I am entering my pillow in the Sew Mama Sew pillow contest!! Wish me luck :)